Shipwrights Combine Hull, Topsides of Bugeye “Edna Lockwood”

Share

Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum Boatyard Manager Michael Gorman reports the historic restoration of Edna E. Lockwood is right on schedule, with her new hull now attached to her existing topsides. The 1889 bugeye and National Historic Landmark is set to launch at CBMM’s OysterFest 2018, scheduled for Saturday, October 27.

Fall and winter saw a very active shipyard at CBMM, with shipwrights and apprentices going through several steps to combine the two pieces of the boat. Her outer stems were removed, shims were added to make up for hidden material behind frames, plank lines were mapped, and the hull was jacked up to its final height on the hard. Additionally, centerboard posts were milled and fastened, bronze stock was used to make custom bolts to fasten the new hull, and Edna’s old hull was moved to storage, with the intention of the piece eventually being a permanent exhibition.They will move on to planking next, and will be replacing the cabin house.

The restoration team is reviving CBMM’s queen of the fleet Edna Lockwood by replacing her nine-log hull, in adherence to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Historic Vessel Preservation. Shipwright apprentices working on the project are generously supported by the Seip Family Foundation and the RPM Foundation. All work takes place in full public view on CBMM’s waterfront St. Michaels campus. To learn about the project, visit ednalockwood.org. For more on CBMM, visit cbmm.org.

Write a Letter to the Editor on this Article

We encourage readers to offer their point of view on this article by submitting the following form. Editing is sometimes necessary and is done at the discretion of the editorial staff.