Talbot Historical Society Project Rewind: Goes Sailing on the Miles

Share

Three types of one design class sailboats were most likely being sailed out to their race courses set up by the Miles River Yacht Club in St. Michaels, Md. circa 1950’s! To the left is the 18 foot long Hampton created in the 1930’s. Next is the Penguin designed in 1938 measuring 11 feet in length. Far right is the 16 foot Comet designed in 1932 by C. Lowdes Johnson for Talbot County. Mrs. Elliott Wheeler for her sons!! The one design class sailboats may change a bit over the years but St. Michaels and Oxford are still the sites of beautiful sailboat races in the summer!! Photo from the Talbot Historical Society H. Robins Hollyday Collection.

Contact: Cathy Hill cvhill@atlanticbb.net to share your old photos. Comment, Like our page and join THS!

Write a Letter to the Editor on this Article

We encourage readers to offer their point of view on this article by submitting the following form. Editing is sometimes necessary and is done at the discretion of the editorial staff.