Last Spring, the Maryland General Assembly voted to undo Governor Hogan’s 2016 executive order mandating that all Maryland schools start after Labor Day. This returned the decision-making authority to local school boards.
Talbot County Public Schools presented a draft calendar for the 2021 school year to the Board of Education at their October 16 meeting. The calendar, which was developed by the TCPS calendar committee, reflects a school start date of 8/31/20.
The calendar also includes the following key components:
• 1 full and 3 half days of professional development for teachers
• 2 parent teacher conference days
• Schools closed on November 3 for the Presidential Election
• 4-day Spring Break in April
• last day for students set at June 14, 2021 (if all inclement weather days are used).
• 4 inclement weather days built in
• 2 additional potential make-up days for inclement weather.
The draft calendar is posted on the Talbot County Public Schools website, along with a form for the community to use to submit comments.The calendar and a link to the survey form have also been shared on TCPS social media. “The Board of Education is hoping to receive a lot of feedback from the community about the calendar,” said Dr. Kelly Griffith, Superintendent. “I encourage our families and stake holders to take this opportunity as their opinions do matter!”