It was a somber day for the Friends of Old Wye Grist Mill, and the Eastern Shore community as a whole, after a torrential downpour hit the Mid-Shore a few days ago. The historic Wye Mills site experienced serious flooding in its aftermath.
The water wheel had water above the axle, and the entire lower museum area remains flooded. The water coming from the Mill Pond has also flooded the entire area where Route 213 intersects Route 662, while the bridge over the stream was closed for a time because it was covered with water.
It’s going to be a major project for the Friends of Wye Mill, Inc. to restore the Mill, and they express the hope that those who love to Grist Mill will consider donating the repairs that will be needed.
Volunteers to help clean up after the water recedes will also be gratefully welcomed. The small non-profit organization is staffed by a small, dedicated group of volunteers. The Mill, which was established in 1682 is the oldest water-powered mill in continuous use in the U.S., and the oldest commercial establishment in continuous use in Maryland. It’s a priceless historical resource that must be preserved for present and future generations.
Donors and volunteers are asked to contact the Friends of Old Wye Grist Mill here to help.