It’s hard to think of a better example of unsung local heroes than the Talbot County Garden Club. While it’s remarkable work can be seen in almost every part of the region, from State Police barracks off of Route 50 to St. Mary’s Square in St. Michaels, the women and men of this venerable institution, have joyfully and without much recognition, beautified with flowers and native plants some of our most beloved settings in the area.
Without any significant effort to toot their horn, the Club has been doing that kind of work for precisely one hundred years, and it shows. Starting with their first project to rid the County of the 21,000 highway signs that existed when they formed in 1917, through their work on the County Courthouse, herb gardens with the Talbot Historical Society and the hugely popular Five Corners Garden, as well as countless classes and garden tours, the Garden Club has been quietly supporting Talbot’s extraordinary horticultural life.
But as the organization celebrates its centennial year, the Spy wanted to make a special effort to put the spotlight on the Garden Club’s historic role in Talbot County. And we spent a delightful time at Bullitt House a few weeks ago with three local members, Caroline Benson, Bobbie Brittingham, and Pat Lewers, who have a considerable amount of club seniority amongst them, to share this wonderful story of stewardship.
This video is approximately four minutes in length. For more information about the Talbot County Garden Club please go here